Find out more about Shopping Cart Software
What is Shopping Cart Software?
Shopping cart software are systems developed to serve as order catalogues for order stores. In most cases, shopping carts act as the interface between the store’s front end and back end, making it possible for customers to choose products/services, read the description and reviews of what they’ve chosen, add/edit settings, and make a purchase. Shopping cart systems are either independent or parts of a larger eCommerce suite, but for most of them can easily be connected to third-party apps and systems. If looking to enrich your online store with a solid shopping cart system, check our leader Shopify and other apps discussed in this category.
Most Popular Shopping Cart Software
Best Shopping Cart Software
How to Choose The Best Shopping Cart Software
Shopping carts, also known as e-commerce website software solutions, can be a complicated purchase for businesses. Choosing the wrong tool can result in significant loss of your time and money. Selecting the best shopping cart tool for your launch into electronic commerce is important to the success of your online business.
This buyer’s guide can help you have a framework around the crucial factors you should consider when looking for the best Shopping Cart Software solution. Get info on the leading apps in this category by reading our in-depth reviews of the top 10 shopping cart software.
Get to know each product with free trial
A wise approach to choosing the best possible shopping cart software for your company is to try out a bunch of free trial plans from popular vendors. This should let you test the list of important elements of the software before you decide if it fits your company requirements and before you invest any money in it. The smartest thing to do when looking for the best Shopping Cart software is to try services that currently have the highest results in our SmartScore and Customer Satisfaction Rating in the shopping cart software category: Shopify reviews, 3dcart, Shopify Plus, Magento, PrestaShop, WooCommerce, Jimdo, Volusion, Bigcommerce, and OpenCart.
- Online businesses and brands use shopping cart software
- Small business websites also use the software
- Online retailers and e-commerce websites make use of shopping cart software to facilitate sales.
Shopping Cart Software For Enterprises
The most passionate fighters in the age of online shopping are definitely large companies, as they’re always struggling to remain competitive and obtain more and more conversions. For them, it is not enough to simply motivate customers to visit their websites, but they need a smart tool that keep those customers there, and inspire them to shop. Thereof, they’re the main beneficiaries of reliable and easy-to-use shopping cart apps, as such take away some of the biggest organizational challenges. At the same time, these systems make e-stores more interactive and attractive to buyers, and eliminate the need to track thousands of orders or customer purchase separately. The best part about it are probably analytics, as the retailer is fully enabled to transform sales data into workable analytics, and draft reports based on it.
What are Examples of Shopping Cart Software?
- Shopify: Shopify offers a range of tools and features to help businesses create and operate online stores as well as sell products in person.
- 3dcart: 3dcart gives access to e-commerce tools dedicated to online store building and management.
- Shopify Plus: Shopify Plus is a leading cloud-based enterprise e-commerce solution for high volume merchants.
- Magento: Magento offers robust and powerful tools and features for small business organizations and online businesses to help them configure and take total control of their stores.
- PrestaShop: PrestaShop is an open source ecommerce solution that can be hosted in the cloud or downloaded from the product website.
Types of Shopping Cart Software
Licensed or SaaS Based?
This is arguably the first and most important factor you need to consider when starting your research. A few years ago, many companies started offering SaaS (Software as a service), cloud-based or hosted, website, as well as ecommerce hosting solutions. There are advantages as well as disadvantages to licensed or SaaS-based solutions but, it seems that increasingly, the SaaS tools are advancing ahead of the competition.
Licensed Shopping Cart Software Solution
- Infinitely flexible and scalable
- Plug-ins and add-ons are usually available for plans with one-time fees
- One time cost for the software solution then you can own the code
- No limits to storage, bandwidth, or products
- Freedom to transfer hosts if needed
- Significantly more complex and longer installation and set-up
- Ongoing and consistent need to update and patch
- Much higher necessity to outsource design and development
- Generally lower quality support
Cloud Based, SaaS, Shopping Cart Software Solution
- A lot of popular features, add-ons, and fast implementation
- Lower initial cost
- Hosting included
- Easier installation as well as implementation
- Some, although not all, design elements can be easily changed by novice users
- Many software vendors offer outstanding support on an ongoing basis
- Confusing pricing models
- Sometimes hard to customize your site functions if the plug-ins are not readily available
- Over time, price can be much higher
- Many features and add-ons are additional fees on a monthly basis
- Can’t switch hosting companies if dissatisfied
These cloud-based, SaaS, shopping cart software solutions are quicker to install and maintain. Thus they are very attractive to businesses that have limited inventory as well as site needs. However, the costs can easily rise to a point where a company ends up paying several times more than they would for a product that is licensed. For users who are not designers or programmers themselves, SaaS solutions are a better choice even if the cost may be higher in the end, as the higher cost balances off against the expenses associated with an in-house IT person or staff.
For most companies, there are few reasons to buy an installed shopping cart software solution. Unless your business has access to developers, hosting providers, and designers, the hosted tools may be the right choice. If simplicity, support, and speed, are your key priorities, then hosted solutions are the way to go.
Key Features of Shopping Cart Software
There are various categories of features that matter to almost every business. When looking for information about providers, make sure you consider the following features:
- Website display and promotions – This feature includes the capacity to create offers, pages, and banners easily and without the necessity for complex back-end manipulation. In your business, you would want your online store to be quick to manage and the capacity to make changes as your product inventory changes, or discounts or specials are offered, is important.
- Shipping and order management – Sometimes, this feature is overlooked when you are focusing on the overall look and feel of your site, but you should also consider how product orders are managed not only from an administrative perspective but also of the customer’s. When you get an order, how does it look like? What tools will you use in managing the orders? How can you send shipping or status updates to your shopping customers? How easy or hard is it to change your message templates and email designs? These issues become very crucial when your website is already up and running.
- Support – Support can prove to be a big factor in considering which tool is the best for your business. Many of the top shopping cart software vendors today provide various ways to get in touch with them or receive support, such as live chat features, phone and email support, video tutorials, FAQs, discussion board, and technical product documentation, among others. When researching for the right shopping cart software tool for your company, check the support platforms a vendor uses and how quick and accurate their customer responses are.
Benefits of Shopping Cart Software
- Integrations – When researching for the right shopping cart software, also consider its integration features. Do you use third-party tools in your business that you want to integrate into your shopping cart? Third-party tools include accounting programs, email marketing tools, CRM systems, shipping management, among others. Some market vendors have many of these integration features as paid add-ons while others offer them as part of their base service. Make sure you check if there is at least an option for you to handle these data connections. Otherwise, your business will end up having to purchase for custom work later.
- Product management and upload – Creating product pages can be done manually, if you are selling just a few dozen items. If you are selling more than that, then you have to consider how you can upload, edit, and manage all of those items. Almost all market vendors have the built-in capacities to handle this. However, some offer more complicated techniques than others. Some vendors likewise offer advanced features that others do not.
Cost and Other Considerations:
Obviously, cost can be a huge factor. It can be difficult to truly understand the upfront costs of the tool.
To address this, bucket the pricing costs into the three main categories given below and consider your needs in each category.
Software fees – Do you want to pay one-time fee for the shopping cart software solution up front? Or would you rather prefer paying monthly costs according to your product items or storage needs? When you are thinking of expanding your product inventory over time, make sure you factor that in as hosted plans all have various limitations at different price plans. You should also remember that the licensed plans all need hosting aside from the cost of the software solution.
Design and development costs – Regardless of the platform you are choosing, you are going to have additional costs if you want anything in your site programmed or custom designed. Consider the actual artwork design feels and CSS/HTML work needed, aside from the custom development.
Integrations, plug-ins, and add-ons – Many integration features as well as add-ons and plug-ins are free. However some will need programming costs, ongoing subscriptions, or one-time purchases. Make sure how your requirements can match up with your shortlist of shopping cart vendors. Check also if the vendor matches the payment gateways you are using. Before purchasing your shopping cart solution, you should also check out this issue. You also have to make sure that the payment gateway the tool is offering is compatible with the online merchant account that you have with your bank.
You will realize it is quite easy to blow your company’s budget on a shopping cart solution only to discover there are a number of other important items you did not factor in, such as a payment gateway. You may also find yourself in a situation—where to your horror—your cart software is so complicated for customers that even you have to get somebody else to help you in shopping products.
Do not be in such a hurry to choose a vendor without completely understanding what their pricing plans include, the terms of service of what they are offering, and the complete cost of working with them. Take time to check out the information you can find on vendor websites, and engage a sales or customer service rep before making a purchase decision. You must know the support levels of their company before you sign up so you can get a full sense how easy or hard it will be to engage them, especially if you have issues later on.
Once your company is set up and starts selling products, you would not want to be in a situation where you realize you have made a bad decision.
- Customers will opt for the lowest prices: In the case of products that can be compared easily without needing physical inspection, and can be shipped and distributed easily, customers will opt for the lowest price available. Therefore if you are not an e-tailing giant like Alibaba or Amazon, you should consider other options to make your online store viable and profitable.
- Customers will go global: More consumers will opt to buy from foreign country websites. This means domestic and local merchants need to wake up to the trend and start selling to foreign customers. They should focus on bolstering their shopping cart and e-commerce software to accommodate buyers in foreign lands.
- Naming of the shopping cart: Some e-tailers cause confusion by naming their shopping cart something else such as basket, bookbag, etc. This can cause confusion in the minds of buyers. It is advisable to simply term the item ‘shopping cart’ and add a graphic image of a shopping cart for quick and easy access.
- Shopping Cart abandonment: Many online retailers face the issue of high rates of shopping cart abandonment. To reduce the rates and facilitate easy buying, they should make their checkout procedure simple and quick. You can provide info about delivery costs early in the process, show stock availability to let customers know whether a product is in stock, and clearly explain the different stages in the buying process and how long it will take to complete the transaction.
List of Shopping Cart Software Companies
Page last modified
Our site employs our certified SmartScore™ approach to analyze all the solutions in the Shopping Cart Software category so that we can help you select the best possible app. It compares and contrasts the following elements: individual functionalities, collaboration features, custom elements, integrations with other services, simplicity, customer support, how secure a software is, mobility, scores in other media. At the moment, Shopify is the leader in this category and is recommended by our experts. After extensive examination it received the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you include it as one of the solutions for your company.
A summary of overall user satisfaction with the software in our Shopping Cart Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that collects client reviews, comments and opinions across a wide range of social media sites to help you make an educated buying choice.
Every vendor in the Shopping Cart Software category will have a different group of pricing plans for its service and each plan will include a different set of features. Below we list the overal pricing for the most affordable package available for each service. Please note that advanced features may have an extra cost.
A summary of what kind of devices and operating systems are supported by the listed B2B solutions in the Shopping Cart Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Find out which languages and countries are served by the popular B2B services in the Shopping Cart Software category, including solutions designed for international markets and created for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Find out what pricing plans are offered by the vendors in the Shopping Cart Software category to see which one suits your business preferences and budget best. Keep in mind that certain apps can offer free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
An analysis of which groups of customers a given B2B platform in the Shopping Cart Software category aims for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.